Subscribe to Warbird Games Forum RSS Feed

All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Post subject: Re: Welcome!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:24 pm 
Early Bird
Early Bird

Intendant S wrote:
Aside from spending plenty of time over in the exhibit hall and doing some shopping (I can't believe some of the things that I found),

Cool! Any standouts?

Intendant S wrote:
I went to a few panels dealing mostly with how to be a better GM and a Star Trek CCG tournament.

My only interest in the tournament would be the Star Trek connection, as CCGs are no longer my thing... however "a better GM" ... sounds extremely interesting. Tabletop gaming is woven into me, somewhat. Sadly, I haven't played in a tabletop campaign in nearly a decade, and I really miss it; especially now having grown a fully-formed frontal lobe and the maturity that comes with it.

While I treasure my memories of role-playing with friends as a kid, gaming with adults is a much richer experience, with everyone basically on-board for an immersive experience. The problem, of course, is that our time between work or family is severely curtailed, and to make it worse, the threshold of our suspension of disbelief is correspondingly raised. Hence, GM advice panels...

Any favorite tabletop games/rulesets/expansions/settings, Intendant?

Intendant S wrote:
There was, however, one event that I so thoroughly enjoyed that I just have to share it. It's a bit...shall we say adult...

Haha, that's great! :lol: 20's pulp horror plus light bondage must have made for a hilariously good time.

Although, I'll admit a bit concerned for "Rachel's" (hard to read the badge) copy of Cthulhu by Gaslight with all that duct-tape flying around.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:38 pm 
Early Bird
Early Bird

Stacy Davidson wrote:
Been watching Terrainaholic's GenCon videos, fun stuff! I'd like to check it out one of these days. http://www.youtube.com/user/terrainaholic

Wow, thanks for the head's up, Stacy. That dude is a serious minis guy! Having never been to a convention, I suppose that's not very surprising, but I only have my past to draw from, and I think between my other half and I, we have something on the order of a dozen nice miniatures, all heroic-style. That is, before the Dwarven Adventurers set on Kickstarter, which Lurker got super excited about (she has a soft spot for dwarves). I never had the artistic skills to really paint them properly, although a long time ago I did help a friend paint part of his army of Warhammer 40K "Space Marines", but I'm pretty sure he spent almost as much time touching up my work as painting his own :P

Are you into miniatures, Stacy?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:44 pm 
Vulture
Vulture

s_d wrote:
Intendant S wrote:
Aside from spending plenty of time over in the exhibit hall and doing some shopping (I can't believe some of the things that I found),

Cool! Any standouts?

I did find a nice copy of the Star Trek Blueprints and the Starfleet Technical Manual for a good price. You just don't find that stuff anymore as it's so out of print and rare.

s_d wrote:
Any favorite tabletop games/rulesets/expansions/settings, Intendant?

My group is currently big into Pathfinder and a friend is running a Shadowrun game right now, but I'm a fan of Cyberpunk, Star Trek (Last Unicorn), and Cthulhutech.

Quote:
Intendant S wrote:
There was, however, one event that I so thoroughly enjoyed that I just have to share it. It's a bit...shall we say adult...

Haha, that's great! :lol: 20's pulp horror plus light bondage must have made for a hilariously good time.

Although, I'll admit a bit concerned for "Rachel's" (hard to read the badge) copy of Cthulhu by Gaslight with all that duct-tape flying around.

I loved that event and I will admit that it did turn me on a bit being bound to another. ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:31 am 
Early Bird
Early Bird

Intendant S wrote:
I did find a nice copy of the Star Trek Blueprints and the Starfleet Technical Manual for a good price. You just don't find that stuff anymore as it's so out of print and rare.

Wow, were they the first edition printing from the 70's? I have a softcover ST:TNG Technical Manual from the 90's, but AFAIK, it's still in print.

Intendant S wrote:
My group is currently big into Pathfinder and a friend is running a Shadowrun game right now, but I'm a fan of Cyberpunk, Star Trek (Last Unicorn), and Cthulhutech.

I've read lots of good things about Pathfinder (it's d20 rules & based on 3rd edition, right?). Unfortunately, I only ever played 1st and 2nd edition, which were fun, but none of my books are very useful now. Shadowrun is also awesome, and I love it, but really needs a good GM to creatively keep the players on track (for some reason, the world feels more "open" to me, I'm not sure why).

Actually, I backed Tabletop Forge on Kickstarter, which is a really slick Google+ Hangouts app for running & managing virtual tabletop games (with a number of awesome features that improve on existing virtual tabletops). I'll learn to use it and hopefully be able to game with friends again...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:44 pm 
WBG Lead Designer
WBG Lead Designer

I was hoping that Minis With Enemies game would make it.

“Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.”
― Tom Stoppard, Artist Descending a Staircase

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:48 am 
Early Bird
Early Bird

Yeah, wasn't that one was in your backyard somewhere in TX, Stacy?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:19 pm 
WBG Lead Designer
WBG Lead Designer

Hah, yeah. Interesting story. That big hairy guy from the pitch video, "Binky", that was Chris, and he and I go waaayyyyy back. One of my first jobs was seasonal Sega rep at Software Etc, and Chris was the Nintendo rep. Our jobs were basically to play games. It was amazing. BTW after two seasons of that I got a permanent job there.

Years later, I moved to Austin and landed a job at Origin... Playing games! Even more amazing. And who do I find there working as an Ultima Online GM? Chris " Binky" (he's always gone as Binky). So yeah, we both seemed to have a nack for finding the cool game jobs.

Most of those guys at that company pitching Minis With Enemies seemed to be ex-Origin. I was hoping they'd make it. Although, I do wish they had shown a gameplay demo. Seems like they have the infrastructure to have done that. Oh well.

“Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:27 am 
Early Bird
Early Bird

They also never actually published an actual Kickstarter update with their new plans, so they still have confused backers in the comment thread discussing what the hell happened (even just six weeks ago). It would have been good for them to at least try to recapture a portion of the 160 backers they gathered!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 pm 
WBG Lead Designer
WBG Lead Designer

Yeah it's amazing how many projects go up from traditional developers who don't seem to "get" how KS works.

Offline Profile